Saturday 4 February 2012

Role Play Your Dialogue

Good Evening buddies! 
Want to hear something about my group's role play?
Yeah, here it is! :)

My group had decided to do a dialogue role play on Chinese New Year Celebration.  

Since that we need to include at least five language functions based on ISL Week 1, so we did discussed together about the dialogue that we going to present so that we were able to include as many language functions as we can. 
The details of the role play are as followed: 

# Title: Chinese New Year Celebration
# Setting: Housemates were having a conversation during breakfast. 
# Characters: Naja, Jue, Liza & Iin   

CHARACTER
DIALOGUE
NAJA
Hi, girls! Good morning! Chinese New Year is coming. Do you girls go back for holiday? (To ask)
LIZA
Yes! I will go back for sure because it is my family celebration. (To reply)
How about you girls?(To ask)
INN
I’m not sure yet because my parents are not at home for the time being    (To reply).
JUE
Same goes for me as we have not received our allowances yet. (To explain)
LIZA
So pity for both of you. Why don’t both of you come with me? Let’s celebrate the Chinese New Year with me and my family. (To invite)
INN
Hmm…I don’t think I can join you because I already have my own plans for this coming holiday. (To decline)
JUE
Cool! It’s a good idea! But, I have to ask permission from my parents first.   (To half agree)
NAJA
Anyway, are you serious Liza? Since I always dream of celebrating Chinese New Year, don’t you mind if I go along with you? May I? May I?                  (To request)
LIZA
Yes, why not? It’s my honor to have you as my special guest. (To agree)
NAJA
Wow! That sounds lovely. Thanks, Liza. (To thank)
By the way, what is so special about Chinese New Year celebration? Come on, tell us! (To ask)
JUE
Oh, I know. I know! One of them is Lion Dance. I really enjoy the Lion Dance show. It’s what I’m waiting for every year. (To express)
INN
But, I know the most special one! (To express)
JUE
What is it? What is it? (To ask)
INN
Angpau! Since I’m not coming with you, so don’t forget my angpau, okay! (To remind)
LIZA
Yes, both of you are correct. But, I’m so sorry, my dear. (To apologize)
 I’m not married yet so I can’t give you angpau. (To explain)
INN
Why can’t? (To confirm)
LIZA
It’s a tradition. I can’t change it. (To explain)
NAJA
Oh, I see. Actually I’m so excited to play fireworks. (To express)
LIZA
Yes, me too. It is the most exciting part in Chinese New Year celebration for me. (To respond)
JUE
Really? That sounds great! (To respond)
LIZA
So, what are you waiting for? (To convince)
JUE
Alright, I’ll try my best to convince my parents. (To agree)
INN
If that so, I have to think twice about this. (To confirm)
LIZA
Good! That’s my friend. (To praise)
NAJA
Awesome! Let’s shopping for a new cheongsam, girls! (To invite)
LIZA, JUE & INN
Let’s go!!! (To agree)

We managed to include 14 language functions in our dialogue. Yeah!


 to ask  
to reply  
to explain  
to invite 
to decline  
to half agree  
to request  
to thank  
to express  
to remind  
to confirm  
to respond  
to convince  
to praised

Frankly, I found this activity was really interesting and challenging.
Do you know why??? 

Okay, it’s better to tell the story from A to Z.

Actually the idea to present a dialogue on Chinese New Celebration came up as we have one of our group members celebrating the celebration (Liza). Plus, the Chinese New Year Holiday was coming soon.

As we all were looking forward towards the Chinese New Year Holiday during that time, so we all agree to transfer the excitement in the form of dialogue.

The reason I said this activity was interesting is because I really had fun watching others’ group role plays. Among all, the one that I really love was Nickelson’s group role play. It was about a salesman and a saleswoman recommending a hair shampoo for a choosy customer. To me, what made the role play interesting was the way the character of the choosy customer act which was effective and quite funny. Anyway, congratulation to other groups to for the good job!

Next, why I said this activity was challenging is because we all need to memorize our part well so that the role play goes smoothly. Thank god, everyone managed to do that. Huh…

From the pedagogical side, I managed to learn something new from my lecturer. I like the technique that when she asked the group present to choose a few persons to identify the language functions used in the role play presented. The technique is useful in teaching so that the pupils or student will pay attention during others’ role play, plus to check whether the pupils understand or not what they are learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment